We are looking to recruit a suitably experienced and multi-qualified individual to join our team due to the ever growing demand for our popular and high quality Landscaping and garden maintenance service.
The successful applicant will integrate into our team carrying out maintenance of grounds and gardens and maybe required to landscape constructions as well as looking after a variety of clients’ gardens on commercial sites.
You must be highly self-motivated, physically fit, reliable and able to work flexible hours to meet business demands especially in spring and summer. You will need excellent communication skills and be approachable as you will be interacting with our clients on many occasions. You should work with diligence and have a keen interest to promote the business wherever possible.
A passion for plants and shrubs backed up by good knowledge of how to care for and seasonally maintain them to a high standard which compliments their natural growth habit.
Qualifications: RHS level 2 qualification or higher are preferable but more importantly a good level of experience and the ability to demonstrate sound knowledge are acceptable and be confident to use a range of power tools and ride on lawn mower.
A chainsaw license and PA1/PA6 spraying certificate is also desirable.
We are a friendly team with a relaxed atmosphere but always work incredibly hard!
Function Role and Purpose
To help build new gardens and maintain the grounds and gardens on various sites, working independently as well as leading a team. Should be experienced in horticultural practices, able to operate a variety of equipment and have a strong horticultural knowledge.
Must have a documented track record of capability to work effectively in large & small gardens to a high standard and provide photographic evidence of landscaping projects completed. Testimonials from clients is also desirable.
Key Responsibilities & Duties:
Hard landscaping projects:
* Clearing initial sight and installing oversight to correct levels.
* Setting out from a drawing.
* Building gardens from a designer/landscape architects specifications.
* Laying patios
* Building walls using a variety of materials
* Timber structures including pergolas, sheds, fences and sleeper retaining walls.
Soft Landscaping Projects and Maintenance, Including:
* Tree, Shrub and Hedge Planting
* Preparing Ground and Laying Turf
* Preparing Ground and Sowing Seed
* Ecology and Wildlife Projects
* Landscape Maintenance – Lawn Care, Hedge Care, Plant Care, Pruning and Tree Care
Planting Design & Planning:
* New borders to be planted
* Redesigning & refreshing old borders
* Making constructive suggestions to clients and advise where necessary.
Health and Safety:
* Complies with own and Employer’s legal responsibilities for Health & Safety practices
* Understands the importance of risk assessment; completes required paperwork and ensures team compliance with measures to reduce risk and limit hazards
* Uses all Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as issued
* Ensure safe working practice and use of PPE within own team
* Aware of requirements of the company’s Health & Safety policy
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
* Proven ability to maintain gardens and commercial grounds to a high standard.
* 3 years minimum of horticultural/soft landscaping experience.
* Experience in working within small teams of staff
* Good communication skills
* Motivated, organised and efficient
* Punctual, good time management
* Ability to work unsupervised or as part of a team.
* Experience of using hand and power tools, equipment and machinery
* A desire to learn new skills.
* Full driving license holder
* Level 2 or 3 RHS or equivalent.
* Care and maintenance of power tools, equipment and machinery
* Experience or Specialist knowledge in [Garden design, raising plants from cuttings, experience in market gardening]
* Experience of tractor or rough terrain forklift driving
* Experience of towing trailers
* Chainsaw license holder
* Spraying certificate holder
Planning and Preparation:
* Ensures a thorough understanding of landscaping projects and tasks before commencement
* Plans ahead and ensures correct tools, equipment and machinery is available
* Foresees problems and hold-ups, plans action to resolve issues
* Calculates materials requirement, sourcing and delivery schedules
* Establishes a rapport and dialogue channels with customers
* Keeps customers informed of activities, problems and timescales
* Considers and interprets customers’ requests and requirements
* Makes efforts to promote new and repeat work with existing and potential customers
Organisation and Initiative:
* Makes practical workable suggestions for improvements
* Sees when something needs to be done and takes action Is able to work under pressure and to deadlines
* Recognises deficiencies and seeks help when appropriate
* Handles multiple activities simultaneously
* Adapts plans as events change
Co-operation with Line Manager & Teams:
* Maintains a positive relationship with company owner and manager
* Is prepared to work independently or participate in a team when appropriate and always supports and assists his/her line manager
* Is loyal and committed and always participates to accomplish a task is completed
* Is prepared to lead a team or be a team member when others might be in need of help
* Builds long-term relationships of trust with all internal and external contacts
Coaching and Training:
* Takes active steps towards continued professional development
* Takes active steps to train, coach and develop the skills of new and less experienced team
* Promotes learning and good practice in team members
* Will not tolerate poor standards of workmanship or quality
Communication and Passage of Information:
* Produces accurate and concise written information for his/her line manager
* Briefs team members clearly on work requirements or tasks adequately
* Listens actively and effectively
* Communicates well with customers, understanding requirements and requests
* Consistently produces high quality outcomes as agreed with line manager within agreed timescales
* Promotes and encourages high quality standards with team leaders and team members
* Understands the financial and customer implications of over-run timescales and poor planning
* Assesses materials requirements and organises timely deliveries of equipment and materials
* Consistently plans work schedules to make best uses of manpower and resources
* Minimises waste of materials, time and effort
Reliability and Dependability:
* Takes responsibility to see the job through as directed or under own initiative
* Can be counted on to assist in solving problems
* Produces consistent performance
* Is accountable for own actions
* Adaptable when things need to be changed
* Takes responsibility for care of company tools, equipment, machinery and vehicles
Attitudes and Behaviour:
* Offers assistance willingly
* Makes a positive contribution to morale
* Shows sensitivity and consideration to others
* Accepts constructive criticism
* Takes pride in work
* Is even tempered, consistent and fair
Punctuality and Timekeeping:
* Prompt at the start of the day
* Recognises and adheres to formal work breaks
* Makes effective use of available time
* Sets a good example to others
* Is aware of the company environmental policy Is aware of wider environmental issues
* Disposes of waste materials ethically
* Reduces excessive use of energy, resources and materials
* Makes effective use of recycling
Job Type: Full-time